Hazing is an interesting topic in the Greek Community. While its interesting in our community, I feel like a better word for it from eyes of administrations would be taboo. Administration likes to, in my opinion, pretend that absolutely nothing is happening at times because of how intense the consequences can be for hazing.
Where I personally stand? Its hard for me to say because I was never hazed so I never really got to see if there are any benefits to it happening. What I do know, however, is that I am a brother of Phi Gamma Delta who respects my spot as a brother and earned my spot through what I did during my pledging process. Another thing I do know, is that hazing can distract individuals in our community from many things, including academics, which is a priority of our Greek System. On many occasions I have seen pledges in the community exhausted and having negative feelings about their pledging experience... this is not healthy, and definitely not a good representation of our community. I think its pretty bad that somebody needs to prove themselves worthy of brotherhood by being hazed. At the same time, I don't think things like scavenger hunts and having to clean up after parties should be considered hazing. Scavenger hunts are playful and cleaning up after parties in considerate. I don't think chapters should be in trouble for things like that because they really do not cause any harm. Its the harmful hazing that I really see as being a problem.
I think some pledges weirdly want to be hazed. From the mouth of one of the pledges in my fraternity: "Feel free to haze me!" While this statement confused the hell out of me, I think this shows how fraternity culture has really bred a culture of hazing and an expectation of hazing.
I obviously have a mixed stand on the topic and I don't know if this blog post leads you to a defined answer on what I feel about hazing, but that's what is on my mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment