Wednesday, March 7, 2012

I Believe...

I believe in Phi Gamma Delta. Now, I know that I represent the Interfraternity Council and all of its chapters as a member of the IFC Executive Board, but when it comes down to it, I would have never found myself in this place if it wasn't for what Phi Gamma Delta brought to me. But I'll come back to that at the end of this...
I believe that Greek Life is a microcosm of what our larger community looks like... we have every type of individuals, we have those who serve, we have those who talk shit, we have scholars, we have slackers, we have opportunities, we socialize, and we use human emotion to create something larger than life. I believe that Greek Life, as this microcosm of society, also comes with an amazing opportunity for social trial and error. In thinking of what I want to do with my life, and where I want to go, I can implement things through my position as Vice President of Civic Engagement that work towards developing a better community... and if it works, I can use the same ideas of social change in our bigger picture community to create positive change on an even higher level. I believe in Greek Life so much because opportunities like these, opportunities that can put your dreams into action, are found all over the place. If it works in the Greek Community, it is a great stepping stone to who else it can impact.
As I said, I believe in Phi Gamma Delta. I believe, probably more so than I believe in following my dreams, in relationships. I believe in brotherhood, and I believe that friendship is truly the sweetest influence. I believe that the quality of your relationships determines the quality of your life, and the relationships that I have in my fraternity make it feel like home. I know that it sounds cliche', but there really is something indescribable about being in my fraternity that gives me so much pride to be a part of it. This last year in a half in college has been decently tough for me from many aspects, and if it was not for Phi Gamma Delta, I may have turned out to be much more lost today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment